Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can anyone help
hi all i just wonder if anyone knows what this black box is for in the picture ,on the way back from the breakfast club on sunday there started to become a ticking noise under near where my legs are ,i had a look today and this is the only thing that i can see that is a little lose however i dont know what it is .on the top of it is a round end ,at the time i was looking at it i had the engain running when i pulled up the end of the knob on top of the box it killed the engain.i didnt know if it is something that all deloreans have on it or just mine????.my wife seems to think it was probly put on about the same time that the door launchers where as the remote activates the doors bonnet and boot maybe it also activates a kill switch (or maybe pigs might fly)anyway it was done before i brought the car
could anyone advise me on if im right or wrong or if it isn't this ticking what eles could it be
cheers all Tyson (roll on eurotec)
ps sorry i didn't know what topic to put this in..
[img][Image: DSC_0005-1.jpg][/img]
mmmm, ticking noises in a DeLorean, must have been all the Lybians in those VW camper vans at Cosford Shock

Jokeing aside you are correct, it is a kill switch for the fuel pump in event of an accident (or a very usefull anti theft switch) all DeLoreans had them fitted, although there was a recall about moving them to adifferent location on the bulkhead, but I cant find it at the mo. I cant see how it would tick either!
Hope this helps
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Was the ticking only when you were driving? could be one of the speedo cables or lamba counter box perhaps. (the white box next to the switch)
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
[Image: 3-6-2.gif]

Its part 36 on this diagram called the inertia switch... it kills the fuel pump in the event of an accident

Your plunger on the top note the red bit showing is now cutting power to the pump.... it will 'click' back down so the car car still start.

Quite a useful antitheft device btw Wink

There was a recall to move this to the side of the footwell as people with clown shoes might kick this switch causing it to trip... seen many still in the origional position and like mine i would just leave it there Wink

The clicking probably was the lambda counter (34) clicking round ...
hay thanks all yes the clicking only start when i am moveing so i think the diagnostic is correct any ideas on how to stop it though? :?
btw what a good idea for the swith if the car gose upside down it would swith off the engine
cheers tyson
If it's the counter that's clicking... and you don't use the counter anymore (which most D owners don't :lol: ) Just take the unit apart and remove all the un-necessary components. And leave just the shaft (that connects the upper and lower speedo together) inside the unit and put the case back together.

Then you have a "countless" counter and will never make annoying clicking noise again!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Outatime Wrote:If it's the counter that's clicking... and you don't use the counter anymore (which most D owners don't :lol: ) Just take the unit apart and remove all the un-necessary components. And leave just the shaft (that connects the upper and lower speedo together) inside the unit and put the case back together.

Then you have a "countless" counter and will never make annoying clicking noise again!

now thats quite a good idea thanks for the tip would that affect the speedo though or would it still work ok?
hana 5284 Wrote:
Outatime Wrote:If it's the counter that's clicking... and you don't use the counter anymore (which most D owners don't :lol: ) Just take the unit apart and remove all the un-necessary components. And leave just the shaft (that connects the upper and lower speedo together) inside the unit and put the case back together.

now thats quite a good idea thanks for the tip would that affect the speedo though or would it still work ok?

It will have no affect to the speedo at all. In fact, i think it's better for the weak speedo system on the D, as there's less restriction without all those gears in the lambda counter!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Thanks for all your help as per usual being a member of such a fantastic club and being able to call on advice when ever you need it is priceless
thanks alot
cheers Tyson