Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Sutton's DeLorean Story book (price varies)
Nick Sutton's DeLorean book now/was available for only £6.00 delivered 21/03/13 (However price varies daily! was £8.56 today 22/03/13 and £14.00 something 4/4/13)Amazon price varies greatly depending on sellers who are selling at the time and stock:
http://deloreans.clubstore.uk.com/book_ ... 0857333143 price varies daily it seems. Also via Ebay (again price varies I paid £12.82 delivered) but hear is a link to one seller: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-DeLorean- ... 53f655d4a8 there are lots of sellers on Ebay and the rest of the internet so best to do a search on the day to find the best price for you, and I'm sure available at all good bookstores
Great book, great read and now great price!

Chris
Thread edited on 4/4/13 as price varies greatly, well worth checking with different sellers.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I got Phill a copy of this for his birthday, Nick kindly did a personalised autograph
for the book for him too.

Its an excellent history of the DMC-12 story, and interesting to note that at the
same time that DMC swallowed £76m, Jaguar had nearly £300m and didnt turn a
profit despite all the investment.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Nick's book contains loads of great info and fills a lot of knowledge gaps and is very good value. However if I have a comment, the quality of the printing could be better. It is the only book I have ever read in one day and I enjoyed it very much.

I must admit it has spurred Andy and Me into action. After 10 years of compiling information, our new book is finally underway!

it will be large format and glossy paper to show off all the photos, including the factory photo's, to best effect.

Andy and I have recruited a 3rd co-author .....Barrie Wills, former director of purchasing at DMCL ! ( and CP trim) we have had several meetings to date and the project is well under-way.

If any members would like to submit interesting articles etc. they would be gratefully received.
I would like to personally thank John Chappelhow who worked tirelessly, scanning in 1400 original factory negatives and transparencies.

We will shortly be inviting club members to submit photos, preferably high res and (as the cars look so similar) featuring the person and the car, All photo's will be included free or charge in the book, in an owners section. This offer will eventually be opened up to DeLorean owners, world wide.
Publication should be within 12 months. Naturally club members will get a discounted price and offered signed copies.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Skoda Yetil 4X4.
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:I would like to personally thank John Chappelhow who worked tirelessly, scanning in 1400 original factory negatives and transparencies.
Having had chance to look at these the other year it will be great to see some of them in print. Really looking forward to this, I dont think DeLorean interest has been any higher than it is now.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Parnham,
I'm really happy to read that you have a plan to write your own book.
May I ask if you intend to put some historic pictures in it?
Do you think it could be available for Christmas 2013?
Hi Domi

We have been planning it for over 10 years, but you know how these things are.......living your life, sometimes gets in the way of doing what you want!!

Yes it will be full of pictures, mostly factory original ones.

The official factory photographer took over a 1300 pictures from 1978 till 1982, unfortunately he was still owed money when it closed. I managed to buy all the pictures together with the copyright, many years ago. These will form a major part of the book.

Many senior manager have also supplied information, pictures and documents, including, Barrie Wills, Stuart Craven, Colin Spooner, etc etc.

Many photo's are of cars in and about the factory, being built, be loaded on ships, parked up in rows etc. Most of these have the vin number written on them. So eventually, when the book id finished, we will be able to produce a full list of these, no doubt the current owners would like one of these pictures for a modest price. PLEASE DONT ASK...........Yet ........ IF YOURS IN IN THERE BECAUSE IT'S A BIG JOB TO GO THROUGH THEM ALL!!

I dont think it will be out by Christmas, but probably early in 2014.

Its not about trying to make any money, (I doubt it cover the cost of production,unless we sell a shed load of them!!) We are giving our time for nothing. It will be big and glossy and up-beat. It will be privately printed, to tell the whole DeLorean story, in words and pictures.

Its important to do this, for future generations. Set the record straight, bust many of the stupid myths about the DeLorean, while there are still some of the main people alive, to tell the truth.

Please feel free to share any of my book related emails/ postings with any other DeLorean clubs around the world.

Best Regards,

Chris Parnham DOC UK Historian
Andy Withers Former Mag. Editor and Graphic Designer.
Barrie Wills. Former Director of DMCL 1978-83
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Skoda Yetil 4X4.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris, would you like contact details for David Adams who spoke at our DOC-UK
event in 2011?
Chris, thank you very much for your answers.
I'm really excited to see your book, because I really love to see old pictures of the car in the factory.
Furthermore, if you have pictures of the car on the truck and into the boat, it will be awesome!!!
Sure you can count on me to buy at least 2 of your book :wink:
Hi Claire, yes please send to my home email

Best regards Chris
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Skoda Yetil 4X4.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
will do Smile
Chris Williams Wrote:Nick Sutton's DeLorean book now available for only £6.00 delivered 21/03/13 (However price varies daily! was £8.56 today 22/03/13):
http://deloreans.clubstore.uk.com/book_ ... 0857333143
Graet book, great read and now great price!

Chris

Hi Chris - can I buy 20 at £6 because that's better than I can buy from the publisher and cheaper than Amazon which is now showing a best price of £14.39

regards

Nick
I dont know Nick, as I'm sure you can see it's a link to a seller, in this case Amazon, If you contact them direct i'm sure they will do you a deal. I posted that when the price on Amazon was £6.00, last time I looked it was £8.00 something or other! I certinally got another copy for a non internet user for that price. I posted that on the day it was listed at that price and clearly wrote that it varied daily. I checked again just now and price is still (from) £8.57 plus P&P http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... 0857333143 Most including myself spent more than that for it, I paid £12.82 delivered via Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310597521060 Though I didn't get the corrections slip in mine. Hear is one for £11.57 delivered if thats cheaper than your supplier: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-DeLorean- ... 221wt_1328 I have edited the title post though as the price varies so much on a day to day basis. Great book by the way.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I pre-orded mine, from Amazon, it came a few days early and I am very pleased with it. The only book in my life I have read in a day, non-stop!

Well worth "retail" if that is the only option going. In my opinion ALL DeLorean fans should own one, it is absolutely essential stuff in understanding the car and its history.

We will not be going over all the same ground in any detail, with our book, but will be referring to Nick's book on many occasions. The two books should be seen as complementary not competitors. ( ours will be MUCH more expensive, as the glossy look and large size docent come cheap.) ...but of course good discounts will be available for DOC members!

Barrie Wills is daily churning out pages of fascinating detail on events that he witnesses and was involved with. Andy and I are trawling through thousands of photo. and documents collected over a decade. Its a huge job as Nick will know only too well !

The profile of the car and the people that ensured it was built, has never been higher or better.

Nobody will ever be able to say again, that the DeLorean was some sort of "con - Job".....it was a "proper job", completed in an impossibly short time period.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Skoda Yetil 4X4.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Just finished Nick's book. It is a enjoyable read. Infact I could not put it down.

Nick might be the man to ask about a little piece of tooling that I was given as a apprentice working for Standard Products Ltd (SPL). This was probably known as Silient Channel at the time (it is now part of Cooper Tires).
They made rubber seals and body side mouldings. Alas no longer in the UK.

To cut a long story short I was helping sort out some old extrusion dies for ISO 9000/1 this involved throwing away old dies that had no drawings or paperwork.
One of the dies had "DeLorean" stamped on it. I have long been a DeLorean fan and the Projects Engineer I was helping gave me the die as it had no paperwork. It is a prototype die.
A few years later when I got my car I was able to see that the die looks to be the one for the outer door seal.
I did talk to one of the oldest serving employes at the time who had retired and come back as a consultant. His recollection was that they had produced prototype parts but not gone into production.

I wonder if Nick remembers ?

Regards
Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
wow, thats fascinating stuff Nick, its amazing how many little companies have been involved
in the DeLorean story over the years.