Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Added security measure
JamesRGUK Wrote:http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/se...-post.html

Pop one of these at the end of your garage or driveway to prevent tow-aways

My car is either in the garage or blocked in by another car at night, I'm not going to openly discuss the other measures I've taken, and I would advise others to do the same.

There are all sorts of fuses you can pull out or leads you can remove which would stump the oportunist thief.

These cars must be stolen for parts, as a complete car they are too distinctive and too rare to be sold on in the UK, parts however would be easier to shift, especially with the likes of eBay.

J

The point I was making was that the only time I reckon my car could be at risk is when it's away from home. Like you, at home, or my parents, I have measures in place to help stop a theft while i'm not there myself i.e. Parked car behind the D, Behind a locked gate, CCTV, but yes, that's another one I guess could prove useful, the fold down driveway pillar....good one.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hey guys... sorry to pee on your chips.

But unless that post is as much in the ground as it is out, it just as well not be there.

If the thief really wants your car, do you think that post would stop a delorean attached to a winch with a steel cable? The only person who cares about damage to your car is you.

Its a sad state of affairs, nothing is safe unless you personally guard it. Even then someone will want to fight to take it off you.

The disclock is for cars with bigger steering wheels - your steering wheel will fill it like a limp willy in a shirtsleeve! It weighs a ton, takes up loads of room and is dog ugly to boot!

However.... I do have a solution providing you are within 2km of your car.

On my XR2, I have a Falcon Communicators Pager.

Basically wire the transmitter into your alarm system or courtesy light circuit, and your included pager will alert you of an attack.

You can then call the babylon, confront them yourself with a baseball bat and machetti, or rub your hands together whilst calling your insurance company!
...after much consideration, i've decided just to allow my car to be stolen...if that's what's going to happen. I'll let fate decide.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
with the spate of recent classic car thefts, with VW Campers seeming to be particularly targeted, probably
due to their rocketing values, I think the only failsafe option is a Tracker. Lets face it, how many times do
you hear a car alarm going off and no one is taking any notice of it?

They are relatively inexpensive, we used to have them fitted when I worked for Mercedes as many insurance
companies insisted on them, especially on sports models like the SLK and SL and on the Brabus/AMG versions.

Typically, a Tracker with lifetime membership was around £300-400 fitted and registered by our local car audio
and alarm company. It will probably do wonders for your insurance renewal too.

Maybe, if there was enough interest, the Club could negotiate a discount for members? Chris W, is this worth
looking into?

http://www.tracker.co.uk/for-your-vehicle/

I'm definately tempted to invest in one!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Having a tracker is ideal for the insurance company but not you.

Think of it this way... you may shell out 400 quid to save 30 quid a year for the life of your ownership... but how would you feel about your insurance company insisting on returning your car after its been ranted by all and sundry?

Unless its burnt out or a total loss, it will always be returned less your excess and probably will never feel the same again.

I have a tracker on my M5 but its not been activated during my ownership.

If it gets nicked I know it will be mechanically abused so i would never want it back.

I wouldnt worry too much Chris, this is an isolated incident which will probably not happen again for some time!